Search My Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

30 Days: Life in A Wheelchair

This documentary focused not only on how life would be in a wheelchair but also life as a para- and quadriplegic. I was unable to find it on recommended website, so I purchased it for $1.99 on Amazon.com and watched it in the comfort of my bedroom while being snowed in! I was pleased to see that the person chosen to volunteer for this documentary was a former NFL player, Ray Crockett, who had also won 2 Superbowls.

I enjoyed the documentary although I wasn't totally convinced that R. Crockett got the "real deal." He was able to do a lot more than the average person dealing with paralysis would. By this I mean, he was able to modify his home and his car in a matter of days. In reality, this would take much more time and even more money. I was also taken back by the way the NFL player's wife reacted to his situation. She stated she was getting tired of being his chauffeur, and couldn't wait for his car to be modified and accessible to him. That made me think about all of the family members and caregivers disability affects. It's not only about one person, it's about both the person all of the people who help the person during their daily activities, all of the people who love and care about the person and their injuries.

I was also touched by the woman who had recently been in a car accident and suffered some paralysis. To think that this woman is mother, daughter, sister and cannot fulfill her roles as easily as before, and how dramatically affected his responsibilities have become is heart-wrenching. It was important for me to  remain empowered by these people in the movie and to never feel pity for them. But the heart cannot help but sometimes feel sorry. The fact that this could happen to anyone at any given moment, is scary, but it's true.

Lastly, I was concerned about how his health may have deteriorated from sitting in the wheelchair for an extended amount of time, since he is someone who is so used to working out and staying in shape. I wonder what his legs must have felt like after 30 days of not bearing any weight, because I know after wearing a cast for a broken bone, the muscles become soft and weak.

Great movie and good idea to recommend before departing for our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment