Search My Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Church and Drumming Lessons = Praise

I really had a nice time at church today. It was a really nice thing to add to our time spent here in Ghana. I am happy to report that this church is a lot more accessible than most other places we have visited in Accra. There is a vast open space in the parking lot in which vehicles may drive up to the church's entrance to drop a person off. Also, the stage where the pastor preaches in on ground level, making it very easy for those in wheelchairs to attend service and be able to view the service up close and personal. The church is huge! There is plenty of space to get around and it seems like there are many kind people willing to lend a helping hand. I am happy that this is so, since Ghana is deeply rooted in religion, and many Ghanaians attend church, so people with disabilities are not as much at a disadvantage when it comes to attending this particular church.


The service was special. Special to me, simply because church service is not something I attend regularly although I would really like to. I would like to become a more spiritual person. It was rewarding to get away from the classroom, the tour bus, the outside world, and just listen to the word. Great experience. Here is Nana and I, all dressed up, after service.

Drumming Lessons! I was so surprised to learn that we would be taught some traditional drumming tunes. It is definitely something that takes time and practice, and looks a lot easier than it really is. We we able to practice the basics and eventually play together. Our instructor was extremely patient and encouraging. I admire that the schools teach the children these cultural components (drumming) to their culture, so that they are not lost. It would be nice to have something of the sort here in America, perhaps this is similar to our music and chorus classes? But it seems so much more rich than singing a tune or playing the flute in 7th grade. I don't know, that's just my opinion. Great idea for the program. Suggestion: research a drummer/drummers or musicians who are disabled that play drums or other instruments that would also be able to aide in student instruction. I'm sure they would be more than happy to volunteer their time, and it would give students an idea of other roles people with disabilities in Ghana have.

No comments:

Post a Comment