Search My Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

AKWAABA

Today we checked into our hotel, we were also able to exchange money at the Forex Bureau at 1.46 GHC (Ghana Cedis) for 1 American Dollar. I have to say I was expecting more but I have no complaints. We also met our student tour guide, Kingsley,  who recently graduated from the University of Ghana in Accra and majored in film production. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and kind to us, making sure we had everything we needed and introducing us to various basic Ghanaian customs. I’m sure he will be spending a lot of time with us. We also learned some of our first words today in Twi, "Ago-Ameh." Ago, means someone is knocking, someone wants your attention. So in return, you say, Ameh, so that you can give your attention. We also went for a short tour of the neighboring community by our hotel. We were able to view certain sites such as Independent Square, which is a landmark for us to get back to our hotel if needed by taxi. We were told taxis should cost no more than 2 to 5 Cedis, depending on where we are coming from or going to. As we toured Osu in Accra, I was able to see all of the markets that I have been waiting to visit, as I love to shop! We stopped to buy SIM cards for our cell phones so that we can call home, I was surprised to find it only cost 1 CEDI! So I was so happy about that. When returning back to our hotel for check in, I was thankful that the staff there was so helpful, carrying our bags and making sure we were situated. We have air conditioning, cable TV, and a mosquito net, what more could I ask for! Looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment