Search My Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Makola Market and Arts Market


Today we visited Makola Market, and wow, I was just so overwhelmed at so many people, the rush, the heat, and the black market. It was like something out of a movie, yet I did not feel so out of place, I mean I was overwhelmed but never scared or uncomfortable. It was a once in a lifetime experience. There were people selling something everywhere, salt, soap, hangers, batteries, converters, jeans, shorts, fish, meat, yogurt, icecream, fabric, earrings, bracelets, beads, shoes, "panties!" someone shouted, bags, formula, hair weaving products, baby bottles, feminine hygiene products, just everything imaginable. I wonder, how do these people really make a living off selling all of these products, especially when there are 4 people selling the same thing within 25 feet of one another?! It boggles the mind! Nevertheless we were in the market for the purpose of assessment of accessibility and my goodness, I don't know how the disabled would make it around. There are holes, cracks, tunnels, drops, uneven steps and surfaces, puddles, sewage, pipes, rocks, dirt, everywhere. It was hard to focus on the environment when I had to be careful of where I was walking, turning, and talking, without getting injured.

As we traveled through Makola, watching our every step, someone on a skateboard, scoots passed us on the uneven ground around the cracks and holes safely disappearing through the crowd. This person was not using the skateboard in the ordinary way. This person was sitting on his skateboard, legs criss-crossed indian style, with flip-flops on his hands pushing himself through the people of the market. I was completely fascinated and at a lost for words because by the time I realized what I just witnessed, it was too late for me to whisper to the person next to me, "Did you just see that?" because it was over, just that fast. Amazing, where there is a will there is a way. And that was just one of the things I was learning about the disabled in Ghana, as long as there is hope for a person to become mobile, they will make it work, no matter how bad it may seem, they still manage to make it work. It made me think, as we complain about curb cuts back at home, these people should be complaining about every sidewalk they have to come in contact with, yet they still complete their activities of daily living and nothing stops them. 


We also conducted interviews with people in the arts market, where we found a man who sold wooden crafts. I bought a couple of items to stir up a conversation. He was a muslim man whom had been working in the market for some time now. He was recently divorced (which I found to be interesting, given his religious affiliation) and had one child. He also has many family members who live in the United States. We asked him a number of questions related to his views on disability in Ghana and how he felt about the disabled. I was impressed with what he had to say, "That is the way they were created, who am I to judge anyone." and "I could walk out of my house one day and lose an arm or leg, and become like them."He also went on to explain, "Not everyone is 100%, and the Creator creates you the way you are. Disabled people are equal, there is only one difference, and it is physical." He also mentioned that there is a disabled man who owns a shop in the market and when he needs help, people will wheel him wherever he needs, and he doesn't even have to ask. It appeared that it would be hard to make it through the arts market, but like everything else in Ghana, anything is possible. I thought it was very interesting to hear such a view on disability as all we have been hearing and reading about is how much disability is not accepted or viewed as a curse, when in fact we have been hearing the exact opposite. ::sigh of relief:: I'm happy people view it differently than I initially learned. Great day at the market and I bought some really cool things.

At the arts market I also met the man who is featured on the front page of my blog. He was involved in a motorcycle accident and now works at the arts market. His shop is at the furtherest right corner of the market, so he must wait in the front of the market for customers and tourists and convince them to visit his shop in the back. He explains that it is very frustrating to have to come all the way to the front of the market on his crutches and capture people's attention, especially when others can easily maneuver them into their shops. I must admit, I visited shops of others before going with him to visit his shop, as it was way in the back of the market. He waited very patiently. When I entered his shop, he was selling much of what many of the other people were selling the market. I imagine people may buy from his because of his disability, since it is so visible. He was a very nice person to talk to and introduced us to others in the market and even got me a free drumming lesson! 

Also, check out his shoes, he told us they were specially made for his feet, they keep his feet cool and they are less heavy than regular shoes...I thought they were cool!



 




1 comment:

  1. Your experience at the market was very unique. I can relate to your experience of locals selling the same exact products within 25 feet of each other. I had a similar experiences in Morocco and Namibia. I also was able to witness a young teenager strolling through a crowded area on a skateboard and could not believe my eyes, especially with the construction of the area, which you describe in great detail. Most importantly I too have read on the perspective of the disabled by locals in Ghana and I must say ::sigh of relief:: Hopefully the gentleman you interviewed shared the same opinions as the locals.

    ReplyDelete